Home / News / U.S. / DA Vance defends choice not to prosecute Weinstein for groping

DA Vance defends choice not to prosecute Weinstein for groping

Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr.’s examination of his Harvey Weinstein passionate attack probe: Good intentions, bad evidence.

The embattled prosecutor insisted Wednesday that the 2015 case against the excitable Hollywood honcho left only given of his top sex crime prosecutor’s faith that the charges were not provable.

“If we had a case that we felt we could prosecute and my experts felt we could prosecute against Harvey Weinstein, we would have,” pronounced Vance, now using for a third term.

“We take on many, many, many formidable sex crime prosecutions with people irrespective of their credentials or their income so that’s not an issue for us.”

Harvey Weinstein’s counsel allegedly donated $10G to Manhattan DA

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use limited to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. pronounced his 2015 decision to not prosecute the Oscar-winning film noble was formed wholly on the evidence.

(Howard Simmons/New York Daily News)

Vance, in his first open comments given the Weinstein sex liaison pennyless last week, concurred that his decision not to prosecute Weinstein for allegedly assaulting indication Ambra Battilana Gutierrez looked bad — quite in hindsight.

She accused Weinstein of groping her inside his Tribeca office, grabbing her breasts and slipping a palm under her skirt.

Yet Vance’s bureau took reduction than two weeks before vouchsafing Weinstein walk.

Actress Lea Seydoux poses for photographers during a photo call for the film Juste La Fin Du Monde (It's Only The End Of The World) at the 69th general film festival, Cannes, southern France, Thursday, May 19, 2016. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)

The NYPD felt there was adequate explanation to prosecute after Gutierrez wore a handle to record Weinstein corroborating her chronicle of the purported assault.

N.Y. assemblyman: Probe Cy Vance dropping case against Trump kids

“I, like they, was very uneasy by the essence of the tape,” Vance said. “It’s apparently sickening. But at the finish of the day we work in a courtroom of law, not the justice of open opinion.”

Though multi-millionaire Weinstein was a major Democratic campaign donor, subsidy both President Obama and Hillary Clinton, Vance flatly pronounced income meant zero when making prosecutorial decisions.

Vance concurred his decision to pass on the charges brought by Italian indication Ambra Battilana Gutierrez was feeble perceived — quite in hindsight.

Vance concurred his decision to pass on the charges brought by Italian indication Ambra Battilana Gutierrez was feeble perceived — quite in hindsight.

(Mike Coppola/Getty Images)

He also came under fire recently for dropping an review into President Trump’s children Ivanka and Donald Jr.

Marc Kasowitz, the president’s longtime personal attorney, met with Vance in May 2012 before the prosecutor opted not to bring charges against the siblings in a case involving the Trump SoHo project.

Manhattan DA Vance gives back $31G concession from Trump’s counsel

Seven months later, as Vance ran for reelection, Kasowitz done a $31,000 campaign contribution.

“Nothing that Marc every contributed nor anyone else ever contributed had the smallest impact on my decision-making,” the prosecutor said.  

Tags: cy vance harvey weinstein new york passionate assaults sex crimes tribeca Send a Letter to the Editor Join the Conversation: facebook Tweet

Check Also

Dems ask DOJ for probable justification that FBI had anti-Clinton bias

House Democrats have asked the Department of Justice to yield them with justification showing the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *